Your Criminal Law Questions Answered

June 21, 2018 Published by

When it comes to legal troubles, it can be difficult to know who to turn to based on your situation. If you are facing criminal charges, it is important to access legal assistance from a lawyer experienced in criminal law. Speaking to a lawyer who focuses on the area of law in which you face charges with will ensure you’re provided with the best legal assistance for your case.  To help guide the process, we answer common criminal law questions to help you better understand the process and how a lawyer can help.

Criminal Law Questions: The police want to discuss with me a crime that took place, should I talk to them?

The police want to discuss with me a crime that took place, should I talk to them? - Your Criminal Law Questions Answered - Criminal Law - Criminal Lawyer Winnipeg | Pollock & CompanyThe police must investigate crimes. If you are a potential witness or a suspect, police may approach you to talk. In Canada, you have the right to silence, and the choice to talk to police or not talk is up to you. You may ask to speak to a lawyer first before you decide whether to speak with police.

Criminal Law Questions: Do I have to hire a lawyer if I face criminal charges?

You are not required to hire a lawyer but having legal representation is certainly helpful when fighting criminal charges. A criminal defence lawyer knows the ins and outs of local laws and can apply their unique skills to the circumstances of your case. If you try to navigate the criminal justice system without a lawyer, you are putting yourself at much greater risk of losing your case. In situations where you are facing any criminal charges – it is best to have an expert advocate on your side.

Criminal Law Questions: I am facing drug charges. What do I do?

Your Criminal Law Questions Answered - Criminal Law - Criminal Lawyer Winnipeg | Pollock & CompanyOffences involving drugs can be small like possession of low amounts of drug types, or a serious offence such as when cocaine is trafficked or imported.

Consulting with a lawyer is your best option when it comes to defending drug charges. Using the resources at their disposal, a lawyer can question the validity of the charge, finding out if police lawfully found the drugs. The Pollock & Company team of lawyers is well versed in the laws surrounding drug offences and how to fight wrongful charges effectively.

Criminal Law Questions: My family member/friend has been arrested. How do I bail them out?

When police arrest an individual, the person may be held in custody for a period or brought before the court to determine if the individual should be released. Bringing the individual to court is known as a bail hearing. These hearings take place relatively quickly after the arrest. As a family member or friend seeking to post bail, you must satisfy the court you have the necessary funds and may need to meet other conditions quickly to ensure that by the time the person is brought to court, they can be released on bail. At Pollock & Company, our lawyers can assist with this process.

For more information and to contact a criminal law lawyer immediately, contact Pollock & Company at 204-997-3967.

Tags: , ,

Which area of law do you need help with?


We understand that legal services can be expensive; call our office for a free initial consultation. During that time we will explore options and alternatives to resolve your legal issue in a cost-efficient manner.

We also offer flexible fee arrangements to accommodate your financial circumstances.

Recent News for Winnipeg Lawyers and Clients

In Memory of Harvey Pollock

On February 5th of 2023, our founder, Harvey I. Pollock, passed away. He will be missed by us all. Below is his obituary from the Winnipeg Free Press. HARVEY I. POLLOCK, K.C. BORN: APR 10, 1933 DATE…

Continue Reading

Please note: our office is now located at Suite 301–379 Broadway, Winnipeg. For questions, please call 204.956.0450

Pollock & Company